Friday 31 December 2010

My Global Family

There are many things to be grateful for, although, in the midst of turmoil, sadness, upset or even pain - it can be difficult to work out what those things are. 2010 was the year that shed light on many of those things - for me.

For example, 2010 shed greater light on the fact that as a woman, in the UK, despite the inequality and discrimination I''m faced with every day, despite the fact that we're still paid less than our male counterparts, and despite the fact that BME women are subject to even further discrimination... are increasingly the head of the household, the main source of income, and are often overlooked for promotions at work.

Despite that fact that women are still the main carers of children, and whilst statutory maternity leave is a wonderful 52 wks, statutory maternity pay will cover you for only 39wks of that leave.! despite all that...

I retain my personal power..

In the face of great obstacles, I still believe that I have the power to make changes. Call me a dreamer, call it youthful naivety if you will, but for me... and right now...It works

Relatively protected by the law, I have voice, I can vote, I have rights, I have access to health care, I can choose my husband, marry when I want, I can wear what I like, I've not have to undergo any 'passage into woman hood' that could not only put my health at risk but destroy my 'human rights' to any marital physical pleasure ( not cool)

In developing countries such as the Congo, India, Zambia, Somalia and many more, the harsh reality is that life for a woman, especially in war ravaged territories, is cruel. It's unflinchingly tough!!... and will remain tough for the foreseeable future, despite the excellent work of some of the finest NGOs in the world.

I'm a fortunate woman indeed.

Here in the UK. I'm able to preside over ( solely - or in partnership with others) development projects of local communities... help those who are not so fortunate, and I do so in the knowledge that with enough support change can occur.

Someone once told me that every woman should support at least 1 charity whose mission is to support woman across the globe who are faced with issues ranging from domestic violence to FGM.

Men suffer to, I know - and again there are fabulous charities out there doing their best to support them. We are all family. I like to call it the 'Global Family'
We are all connected in some way or another. We all feel joy... sadness, want the best for ourselves and our families...and my hope is that during the months ahead - we are blessed enough to see the best of mankind, arise and awaken

Hey I've resolved my differences with 2010!!

2011 I love you..
Happy New Year - peace

Feel free to check out: - http:\\www.halftheskymovement.org\get-involved

1 comment:

  1. Some truly excellent articles on this site, regards for contribution. “The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” by Arnold Glasgow. judi joker123

    ReplyDelete