Thursday 16 June 2011

Faux pas


So Boris Johnson's cultural strategy manager quit today over shoplifting comments.. I doubt he was serious..maybe he just forgot where he was.. thought he was at a dinner party with friends or maybe he was just too fed up to play diplomatic games..

you can read the story here

Although I would say I'm fairly tactful..I can often say the wrong thing – be a bit ditsy..or put my foot in it so to speak.. yep.. I can be straight to the point, honest, but never with the intention to cause cause hurt or harm... but... a moment that stands out for me was when I bumped into a woman I know on my way to get a newspaper, and after exchanging pleasantries I said .. "ahhh..!!" stroked her belly affectionately and continued.. "when’s it due??"
She said ...stone faced..."I'm not pregnant"

You could have knocked me down with a feather.. her belly had that 'pregnant belly' look to it.. I'm sure I even said "really??.. are you sure?!?" I was confused and it was written all over my face!!..turned out that it was just belly.
I was sooo embarrassed..
I've heard about those things happening to people but I never thought it would happen to me

I didn’t know what to say so ..I shrugged it off 'no big thing stylee'..with a "Oh.. never mind... OK..."anyway...blah blah..blah..
I couldn't wait to get away.. and I suspect she couldn't wait to see the back of me!!

1 comment:

  1. lol!

    I did the exact same thing at dinner party once (minus the belly stroking bit, thank God!), asked a lady friend when she was due. she was not happy one bit. oops. why doesn't the ground open quick enough? :)))

    funny article. I'd never heard of a "Cultural Strategy Manager", sounds distinctly Orwellian. whatever next

    ReplyDelete