Wednesday 2 February 2011

The Kindness of Strangers

Strangers both excite and scare me in equal measure - yet like a lit flame both are strangely hypnotic - capable of holding your attention at times against your will..

There was a time when your closest friends were unknown to you - an unfamiliar face -unfamiliar voice - and an unfamiliar name. Unless a special chemistry was present at the first encounter chances are (had you never crossed paths again) they would have remained strangers never to stand in your shadow again. Time invested can transform strangers into acquaintances... yet then again there are people you see and possibly speak to everyday who remain strangers still.

The emphasis therefore could be placed on the quality of the time invested. How well you communicate - how honest and how trust worthy you are. Fact is - a simple act of kindness from a stranger can completely change the way you feel and view the world.

So why do they excite me?... well… much like a journey to new lands I’m eager to learn more - experience something new - increase my passion for life - understanding - and love. You never know what role a stranger could potentially play in your life - they could absolutely transform it - you begin to wonder of the great mystery that caused your paths to cross - you just don’t know – which leads me seamlessly onto why they scare me – you just don’t know!!. Strangers could also bring with them stress - upset - confusion - and an unyielding motivation for mischief - mayhem - ' mix up' and a Machiavellian, master class in misery.

Hmmmmm!!

So you look for little signs - small subtle signs that may indicate which way the pendulum swings. Then, when you feel a bit more secure – at some point you take the plunge and Trust ( yikes!!)
I enjoy simple things like someone holding open a door - or holding the lift - or an honest smile ( for no reason and minus the feisty eye rolling later on) and I get that often – more often than not actually – which is encouraging – as it definitely brings out the best in me. Yet - I loathe the feeling of disappointment in mankind to the point that I try ever so much not to look for it at all ( you may try the …avoid eye contact and they can’t let you down technique!!) but despite myself …despite all my best efforts… all my attempts - I still expect it... every time.
Yep - hold the door - hold the lift - offer your seat - you see where I’m going with this!!!
I wonder if it’s a predominantly female thing. Maybe as women we’re hard wired in that way I don’t’ know.
I don’t think people necessarily have to try to be kind – I think they should take steps not to be - unkind. Kindness - by default perhaps - will be the result. I don’t want to confuse being helpful with being kind as there’s a difference. Please note - you can be helpful and still be an ass!! …at the same time too!!
No - there is something exquisitely special about the kindness of strangers, and I can’t close my eyes to that no matter how hard I try.
.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you Dawna. I used to think that you could influence a persons attitute just through sheer kindness, you know the saying 'do good and good will follow you' I have however, noticed that these days it's not good enough. So many people today have so much baggage that they no longer know how to be kind. Instead they are wired to make you unhappy and all those around them. To those people I say this, do some self reflection, by that I mean identify your own flaws before you point out others. Think about how you contributed to what went wrong that day. Very often we ourselves are at fault but continue to be in denial of this. Look within people, not only will you grow as a decent human being but the people around you will show you kindness.

    ReplyDelete