Tuesday 27 September 2011

In black and white.. not just ink on paper

It's a funny old world.
Not much really changes. Not deep down.

I was reminded today of something Rory said when he commented on a recent post.. "I sometimes wish I’d been an accountant and had no interest in society :( it hurts the brain!"..'
I'll add to that Rory .. it hurts the heart as well:(

***

Until those who enjoy unequivocal privilege maintained through personal cultural and structural processes institutions and networks that are rooted in inequality and discrimination do more than acknowledge policies as merely ink on paper, there will be no change.
Until those who are witness to, and not in favour of such inequalities demand change, there will be no change.

***

I don't necessarily believe the saying; people see what they want to see
I do believe that for some, they just don't care.
If it works in your favour why change it right?
or..if the ship is unsteady, don't rock it

***
I had a poet friend. We were staying at a hotel in the Gambia as we were doing some shows there. Anyway, early one morning I went out and when I came back the big news was that she had punched a guy and chucked him in the pool.
Turns out, he had made a comment about not realising he would have to be around so many black people (in Africa) and had complained about it to the ( black ) staff
No body helped him out!
Whenever I think of her I remember that incident.
R.I.P

***
I suspect I have more enemies than friends. I can count my friends on one hand.. my enemies? who knows...smt!love 'em anyway..in a waylol
I will say this though - a genuine friend is priceless. If you have a real friend, be a real friend, it's better than winning the lottery

***

I pray I never become that which I hate.

I pray I never become blind to the truth
Or incapable of feeling
I pray my heart continues to shed tears
feel love.. compassion
and that I continue to laugh
I pray I never intentionally mislead
deceive
or refuse to believe in the purity of time
In me
I pray the message of hope comes second to the reality of justice
I pray that those who are searching..
find what they're searching for
Mostly, right now..
I pray that Felix Dexter continues to tell this joke..

*'October... yeah it's 'Black History' month innit..
that's right..because as we all know..'black people waited 10mths before they decided to do anything of any real importance.. word has it, from Jan - Sep we lazed about .. did nothing then...'quick quick hurry up.. we got empires to build.. things to invent ery'ting!!..damn and blast.. why did we wait!?! so if your children ask you anything about black history in the month of November, tell them 'sorry... you gotta wait another year!!'..

* It's funny the way he tells it!!
but then, he's a very funny man
that was just my poor interpretation
Love ya Felix

No comments:

Post a Comment