Friday 15 June 2012

The Rise of Rasta

Locks are quite fashionable nowadays. Many will 'locks' without a second thought to how this way of wearing their hair ( naturally) was made possible without the type of persecution of the past. The evolution of Rastafai is quite interesting, with some subscribing to the core beliefs, and others not knowing what they are or even care.
Rasta isn't just about locks though, it's about core humanitarian beliefs, a way of being, a life choice if you like. An understanding of ones self and others, and an awareness of a universal higher order. It's about love.

Anyone who wears locks ( even for fashion) can never really 'shun' Rasta, as without the fight, the history, things would be very different. They made it possible.

Rasta however, may shun you lol.
No.. I jest.
I say that as whilst some may look at me with my tight tops or occasional short skirts, jeans and blah blah blah, and think... 'can't be Rasta', they don't know my history.
Ultimately, I'm just me...an amalgamation of many things. Uniquely me.
I was 15 when I grew my dreads, and at that time it wasn't the 'thing to do'.
My parents waved goodbye to my 'good hair' sighed and probably wondered how they ended up with this particular daughter..
A mind of her own and a will too strong or tiring to contend with.
I was a conscious child..

Still...true Rastas deal with the heart, and have no need to cling to dogma.
Rasta was, and is, a cultural phenomena, one which has impacted on the black community perhaps more than we may care to realise. (but I think should at least recognise)
One which advocated a sense of identity, of strength and self reliance, when all about were saying no.

Whether you agree or disagree with the philosophy, If you have an interest in history, you may enjoy this
And if you have locks now... perhaps give thanks you were not around then.
As you visit the hairdressers to get a 're-twist'.. give a thought to the Rastas over pinnicle..give a thought to the history, and smile.
Happy Friday x











7 comments:

  1. love the post. very few people realize Rastas are called dreads because of the supposed "dreadful" appearance of their hair, itself a profound socio-cultural and political statement centering on our black and African identity. the expression should be revered instead of vilified or trivialised

    Read a fascinating book, Rastafarians, by Leonard Barrett. really respected Rasta after reading it. I've been told by a Dread the book is not definitive, but IMHO it's definitely a good entry point for anyone who wants to know more about the movement.

    D, any other recommends?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know Chrome much of what I learnt about Rasta came from an internal study of self, reasoning ( as was the thing back then) and the study of the old testament. I would recommend the Kebra Negast also.. I've read some.. still not all.. but it's highly valued as a document of historical accuracy dating back to King Solomon. Any books on Leonard Howell, anything you can find on Mortimer Planno. A government decree to imprison or kill rastas.. can you imagine.
    I credit Bunny Wailer's 'Armageddon' with teaching me my first bass line, and his knowledge inspired me a great deal. I've read lots over the years, as I remind myself as a peruse my bookshelf i'll be sure to pass them on x

    ReplyDelete
  3. and The Book of Revelation..
    beautiful psalms
    song of Solomon.
    The bible is a great work of literature isn't it Chrome.. so beautifully written in places

    ReplyDelete
  4. the bible is indeed a great book. back in the day I used to enjoy reading the old testament for it's philosophical and poetic content.

    What I find interesting in Rastafarian is how it eschews religious dogma and is very pragmatic in practice. I know a dread who is a Buddhist, still retaining his core Rasta tenets

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chrome.. I once said I'd never date a guy that eats pork. then one day I thought.. well.. if he eats pork he'll eat anything :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol! i didnt quite get that, but hey i cant stand pork but have eaten odd things

    ReplyDelete
  7. hehe :)it's a slow burner.. get it now?
    strangest thing I've ever tried was crab meat..oh and snails ( and that was by accident in France)

    ReplyDelete