Wednesday 31 December 2014

Out of Africa

I've caught this film twice now.. each time by 'accident'.. and I always seem to pick it up at the same point.
It is truly a great film though.
It captivates me.
She speaks about 'her Kikuyu' in a way in which they would have been spoken about at that time
The colonizer and the colonized
A bizarre relationship, summed up in a look.. a look of undying love... in the eyes of her servant in a final scene

It both moved, and disgusted me in equal measure
Yet I couldn't look away.
'Her Kikuyu'. Master and Servant. Perhaps a quintessential ultimate codependent relationship



A very interesting book I hear.. she lived a very interesting life
Bit of a rebel :)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for reminding me of "Out of Africa!" I haven't seen this movie in a long time, Dawna, and I haven't read the book. I think I have a copy down in the basement somewhere. I should read it, because I am fascinated with the colonizer and the colonized wherever it plays out. Have a happy, healthy, and fulfilled new year, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We share that fascination I cant get enough of it sometimes :)
    Same to you too Fundy.. a million happy and healthy blessings coming your way x

    ReplyDelete