Tuesday 25 October 2011

Do we live in a post racial society?..

I was having conversation with my brother yesterday and the subject came up during our debate about the BBCs mixed Britannia season which I said I serously didn’t get the point of, and though was a wasted opportunity.
He seemed to have enjoyed it though, but went on to say the show was a few years behind as colour doesn’t really matter anymore... I think he may have said ‘much’, in fact, I hope he did because if not I’m going to have to remind him that he’s still unemployed despite looking for a good few years, and in fact one could argue that his ‘blackness’ has had him living precariously on the fringes of society for some time now.. Anyway... I digress

When Obama came to ‘power’ (and I use the term loosely) many said this was further evidence of the fact that we live in a post racial society.
Watching debates about adoptions, it’s a subject that’s thwart with much contention, whether or not it’s important for a child to be raised with a sense of cultural / racial awareness (or at least be raised by parents who are aware of cultural and racial differences, and have the skills needs to address these issues as and when they arise.
Then you have those who claim mixed relationships are further evidence of a post racial society

Then there’s my favourite, which comes from my brother who says very factually;
“You have arseholes of every race... every nationality... and then you have some really nice people... again of every nationality creed, colour whatever.. it’s deeper than that now

Well... yes...and no...

Today, I’m going to leave with two very simplistic examples of why we do not
1. X Factor; Misha – was accused of being Overconfident, which quickly turned into... she’s a bully.

2. The Apprentice (the Boardroom) Mohammed was quickly accused of being aggressive... despite the fact that he was acting in an almost identical fashion to the other boy( James I think) who many would have seen as an assertive go-getter
(Both should have been fired in my opinion... thought the show was great by the way) but that’s not the point.

I'm not saying that anyone Black can never be aggressive, or, be a bully ( that would be silly) I'm just asking why their behaviour ( common for most) is quickly judged/viewed in this negative way

The point is that racial stereotyping e.g. (black people still being views as aggressive, overconfident bullies) still exists... and that... is not post racial
Is it?

Simplistic yes.. but why complicate things?

5 comments:

  1. No we don't live in a post racial society; but I will say this (or type it anyway). I was pleasantly surprised when Barack Obama was elected president. If for no other reason than to finally know for sure that Caucasian people in my country would actually vote for a man of color for president. It was important to me since I've been voting for Caucasians for president since 1984. There are people that will never understand how I feel about that, but I honestly don't give a damn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with your bros, I loved that mixed Britannia and thought the program was well overdue. I remember back in the day going to Liverpool and meeting an old mixed race guy, 75 years old (r.i.p), whose father was Ghanaian. He told me a few stories similar to people's experiences from old on that program.

    racial stereotyping is not a bad thing per se, its when it leads to racial prejudice. are black people aggressive? some are but not in the general, the bits the media choose to ignore. our stories are various but they won't report this variety will they? blatant prejudice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reggie I agree with you- the fact that Obama secured votes from all nationalities was a good sign.. it said something of how we have progressed as people

    Chrome - I didn't get it. A lot of men who migrated here from the Carribean had wives and girlfriends 'back home' - there's an untold story there.
    Also - I remember watching an interview with an elderly man who said that he was smitten' and wanted to be with his wife as she reminded him of the queen of 'Hin-glan'
    Got to hand it to that ole colonial upbrining lol
    Seriously... It lacked a bit of depth for me.. especially as it's a story rarely told

    I agree with you on stereotyping

    ReplyDelete
  4. perhaps another program on colonial mentality? I dare the BBC to make that one :)

    know what my Mum said to me one day back in Nigeria? "It was better when the white people were in charge" hmm, OK mum, time for your tablets. with the older generation runs deeper than we thought

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol the BBC? :)...I double dare em
    Your comment cracked me up today... "Ok mum, time for your tablets “even now it makes me laugh...
    I wonder though, what your mum meant... like what made it better in her eyes
    I remember similar conversations growing up... my mum used to say...
    You’re English... I'd say... No I’m not, I’m British...
    You’re English
    No.. I'm Caribbean
    You're English
    Ok you know what mum, I'm African cha!!!

    I know what my mum meant..
    The look on my mums face back then was...silly girl!! she'll learn:)
    we have had access to more information than our parents I guess, and a great deal has changed over time, but some old and unhelpful ignorances that exist in our cultures are still being passed from generation to generation

    ReplyDelete