Sunday 11 December 2011

Has the weave done more for race relations than the Race Relations Act ever could?

Black women get a lot of stick at times over their wearing of 'weaves'. so ... I'm going to defend them.
Firstly, black and white women wear weaves ( just thought I'd get that out of the way)

The main difference is that, the weaves that black women wear are mainly Asian or European in appearance.
Why not 'Afro hair' weaves you say?.. well... hang on...

This has enabled black women to attend work, colleges, universities, etc without being asked silly questions about their hair, without being ostracised, without the odd looks...for looking...well... different.

You see... the weave has helped to put at ease those who may have felt/ or feel, a little uneasy with a more natural black/African appearance.
The wearing of the European or Asian weave has lessened the cultural ethnic gap, and ensured that the image is one which is recognisable and acceptable to the mainstream.

Beyonce, is a fine example (beautiful as she is) of the power of the weave.
the power to remove that which may cause unease.

I've had a few guys say they're not into the image so much anymore.. I asked why, and the response was... well.. errr..the image... and something to do with now appearing (like Rhianna and Kelly R_much lighter in complexion than before).. they felt the message to young black girls could be counterproductive..producing within them..a negative self image

But, that's another argument.. ish

My thing is... don't knock the weave.
It ain't so easy for black men to mask their 'blackness'... and somebody's gotta bring home the bacon.

Question is.. do they realise the contribution?

4 comments:

  1. As an aesthetic of beauty the weave and its various themes cannot be argued against, I've seen things done with them that are visually appealing. this comes even worse than the old good hair argument. So what? Black African hair is so unattractive that our black women have to mask it from the "European" as European? And whose unease? Theirs? What about our unease? Are we black men so emasculated that our unease doesn't even factor? economic contribution? Mask blackness? Dawna Lee c'mon! But ... why stop there? I heard bleaching products are being rolled out with zero to no side effects. Surely permanent solution? no? I don't buy your argument one bit

    I'd like to think the only reason on God's given earth a black woman would wear a weave is because it looks nice on her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My surname is in use... that's spells trouble :)

    Hmmm okay - I hear you...yet it is an argument...
    and one worthy of exploration...

    Other than the emasculation of the black man and recognition of their unease (which I'm not sure I can quite fathom) I could possibly answer yes to all of your questions... not because I agree but because it's a plausible reality

    The wearing of the weave as a thing of beauty is perhaps to sell it short of its real overarching contribution to black culture

    ReplyDelete
  3. BRAVO clapping for Dawna Lee. Thank you for getting the awkwardness of the weave out in the open and yes White women wear weaves too for extra length, fullness and just simply a different look. I think as a black race we are soo hung up about not losing our identity that a slight change to our appearance means we are selling out.

    Ehr NOOOO, personally I am addicted to my weave now beacuse I like the fact it gives me a different look, as does my natural hair and the same goes for when my hair is relaxed. I don't have the extra time in the morning so a weave for me is a convenience that I could do with every day.

    And Occasionally for a mad look I colour my weave or my own natural hair for a different sassy look. Whether yo have a weave or not should not make a difference to who you are too many people get it twisted!!

    But lets get back to the heart of the matter, as you clearly stated Beyonce has been the flag ship for how to wear your weave DIVA style aint nothing wrong with it. Bet if she sported natural locks that would have been a trend setter too...

    I absolutely love your last comment about do black men realise the contribution we make by sacrifising some of our selves inorder to bring home the bacon. NO I don't think the light bulb has come on yet maybe one day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been meaning to blog about weaves.........maybe this would be a good time?!?

    I know women of all races wear weaves and I ain't hating. Hell as far as I'm concerned it's their hair as long as they've got the receipt!!!

    ReplyDelete