Thursday 10 January 2013

Is there respect for our elders?

I quite like old people.

Sure I can get a bit squeamish about certain things, but more often than not i really enjoy talking to them, find them quite funny, interesting, and enjoy their company.

I think its a shame that they’re often treated so appallingly.
There are those who are left alone to fend for themselves, struggle to pay bills, and maintain their homes to a standard they may once had been accustomed to.

Many struggle with the pressure of having to deal with ‘officialdom bureaucracy’ and find form filling processes stressful. They are often messed about, and disregarded by those who should know better.
To think that many of them may have lived through the war, fought in the war, suffered the indignity of early migration exclusions, violence, and prejudice; many have raised children, and have a lot to offer.
Forgotten, and disrespected.
Like they’ aint shit’.

As I said, I quite like old people.
So when I see or hear that kind of thing it really annoys me, and I want to jump in and give whoever a piece of my mind.
I’ll be fair and say that yes, some can be rude and annoying,( cant we all?) but still... elders and all that.

4 comments:

  1. Even though old people smell funny, we're all gonna be old one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true. If we're lucky enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL at Reggie not all old people smell. Thats interesting comment.

    My sister is currently training as a midwife and part of her assessment is to rotate through the elderly section of A&E as well....she told me an appalling story of a trainee in her group who refused to do blood work on one old woman on a ward, because she smelt too much. How rude then dont train as a nurse cause am sure there will be far worse scenarios than just a smelly person!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BC.. a trainee nurse refusing?.. because of smell?..
    I've encountered a few scary midwives in my time still.. real old school, judgemental( pregnant at your age tut tut I see no ring ) types.
    I asked a ambulance driver/paramedic once what was the hardest thing he had to deal with in his job.. he said.. to be honest.. the smells. So yes, It can be tough.
    But yes BC - Anyone can smell at any age that be true.

    ReplyDelete