Friday 6 January 2012

The price of 'beauty'...

The UK black hair industry is currently worth about £32bn, and is predicted to grow by at least 24% in 2012

Don’t ask me how much the nail industry is worth but, I would suspect it's doing quite well also.
Now I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve had someone say to me they cannot afford music lessons or extra tuition for her child/ or children, but yet... money can seemingly be found for the hair and nails...

Looking good or the desire to look good I would say is inherent in us females perhaps more so than men, although I realise that’s a generalisation...
and I would argue that it is important for ones self esteem and self respect no doubt.. ( Yes... I too, desire to appeal.. sometimes!! :)) )

Still...today I met a lovely woman from Jamaica, who is doing all she can to fill her daughters evenings with activities, music sports... you name it.
It was refreshing... and very sweet

It made we wonder whether our investment in certain areas is skewed to appease our vanity, to the detriment of our children’s development.
After all...what matters more?
Because the sad fact is, with over 50% of black women remaining single, or as un-married mothers, it appears that despite ‘looking good’, we women are either not attracting the right men... or someone ‘up there’ .. Is ‘avin’ a bubble bath....!?!’

Stumbled across this article... found it interesting... Especially the bit about treating boyfriends like husbands

3 comments:

  1. or someone ‘up there’ .. Is ‘avin’ a bubble bath....!?!’ classic Dawna am gonna have to jack this sentence at some point.

    Yes I agree sometimes the blinkers are on 24/7 all we see is big hair and those extra finely manicured nails. It's a hard balance though I suppose for a single mother their goal is to do what they can for their child/children however in some instances first port of call is to attract a man who is able to furnish their hunger of looking FINE.

    VANITY and the bloody Internet is gonna ruin us all :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. perhaps time for a reality check..
    either that or a stratergy that works :)

    ReplyDelete