Tuesday 17 January 2012

A world without scriptures...

Who would we be if there were no scriptures?
No religious texts, no guides to life.. nothing..
How would be treat each other?...explain and explore our feelings? ...manage our emotions... negotiate our way through life..

I like to think that my innate sense and sensibilities would steer me right..
I like to think that each of us has everything we need right here... within.. if only we would listen.. and allow ourselves to feel
Truth is.. I think we drown out our spiritual senses, much in the same way we rarely see stars in the sky anymore

There are times when I have felt that our religious teachings be they from the Koran or the bible, have enabled many of us to shirk our responsibilities..

As if we can no longer think for ourselves, but need to be taught how to think, what to think and how to feel..
If the 'word' didn't tell us it was wrong to kill... would we kill whenever the feeling gripped us?
If the 'word' didn't advocate love .. would we hate everyone?
Are we a nation dependant on being told what and how to think?.. how to act... are we a mindless nation?... the living dead... spiritual dead... walking blindly through life.. until.... errr...death?

Early 'explorers' who carved up places such as Africa clearly felt that without the 'word' natives would continue to roam as savages .. eating each other.. and so on, and perhaps,...to be fair there's an element of truth to that
For these texts do provide wonderful guidance and teachings for those who need it most..
For who could we trust to do right by us, if left to their own 'animalistic' devices
I would say we all need it... perhaps to varying degrees.... but we all need it..

All of us require, comfort hope, guidance, to gain strength, and in the times that we live in, it's not always readily available from everyday people we meet...

Still, I personally like to think that everyday people I come across, have a story ( which they willingly share) where I learn a great deal..
I learn about them, I learn about me .... and I learn about this world we live in

There are times when I'm shocked when I hear certain stories of how one person has treated another.. but that occurs less and less now... I'm more disgusted than shocked.. then I find I have to gather myself, and try to put it into perspective... as in... ( it's their journey.. god has lessons for all of us)
Still.. even in my professional capacity there are times when I wanna say' F***in' h**.'.. he or she did what!?!.. they said What!?!)

( What does concern me somewhat is that if I roll my eyes inwardly anymore, they may just roll out of my freakin' head and expose me !.. but....still...)
I say .. nothing...
For I recognise that it's important to feel free to express yourself without fear of judgement... that sometimes we just need a listening ear.. ( we all need that at times)

No, I don't need the bible to tell me when I feel pain.. when I feel love.. when I feel joy.. anger.. or any of those human emotions we are all subject to..
But in the absence of true spirituals 'leaders' I may need scriptures, simply to guide my way
Yes... I appreciate that...


* by the way... in an unrelated matter...I have some sort of technical glitch that means I'm unable to respond to comments made on posts at the moment... thank you for all your comments... as usual I take them all in.. and hopefully I can sort this situation outxx

1 comment:

  1. Who can say what goes on in the minds of others. I often feel that the greatest lessons we learn are the ones we teach ourselves. For those of us who believe in self reflection, how we as individuals have impacted on others around us by the way we are the things we say and do can teach us so much. No book can take the place of your inner most thoughts and deeds and after all the 'word' as we describe it was written by another individual like ourselves made of skin, flesh and bones. Some of us are leaders who are self taught and others are followers who need to be taught. What a wonderful world we live in.

    ReplyDelete