Saturday 25 October 2014

HARDtalk - Ngugi Wa Thiong'o

Overview and Youtube description

'HARDtalk speaks to one of Africa's greatest living writers, Ngugi Wa Thiong'o. Tipped to win the Nobel prize for literature, he decided years ago not to write novels in English but in Gikuyu, his mother tongue. His work includes extraordinary memoirs of colonial times and the Mau Mau uprising in his native Kenya. How far have today's young Africans forgotten the sacrifices that brought about independence? And has that independence itself been a disappointment?'



2 comments:

  1. I didn't watch both videos, but I did watch some of the first. To feel such strong emotions after nearly 60 years, gives an idea of the trauma he must've experienced in discovering his home had been destroyed! If I have more time, I'll come back and view the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I found the interview very interesting. Hope you get time to see the rest

      Delete