Sunday 12 October 2014

Natural Girl - MzVee ft Stonebwoy

Nice song.
..even if songs and videos like the one below make me feel a bit sad.
Why Dawna?... It's difficult to explain but i'll try

I guess it makes me sad that some of us have to fight so hard just to be who we are.
Explain this... prove that... change this change that
Pick pick pick..

Questioned doubted scrutanized and occasionally.. sometimes.. ... loved
Its not right... and what I mean by that is I find it unacceptable.
I don't talk about it much, but I think about it more.

Black women, for a very long time, have been measured by European standards.. of beauty (even behaviour) Behaviour is another post altogether so I wont go into that one.. yet.
The one constant in (what is in reality) the ever changing arena of western or 'white' beauty standards is that of skin colour. (ish)

and I guess.. well..I don't know..after a while.. sometimes a girl just wants to say..hey.. you know what? 'go f**k yourself.

But we don't.. do we

I'll share something with you. An ex ( of a few years back) once told me I remind him of a white woman. Said he had the 'best of both words with me. He was a black guy.. and felt he was complimenting me. He had dated predominantly white females, and said something along the lines of never knowing black women were okay until now ( me). Thought they were all aggressive/ or had attitude or something
I should have walked then.. but I didn't. I guess we all have an ego right. lol!
Suffice to say..we are NOT together.
I should have asked him what the best of those worlds were but I was too caught up with his blasted eyes!! ( silly me)

So... in short, I guess songs like this remind me of the poison and ignorance that exists in places it really should no longer dwell. We need to wipe it out - yeah.. just like Ebola,


No comments:

Post a Comment