Tuesday 14 October 2014

The New Black

It's as if he could tell, that the question behind the question was always... 'How does it feel to be a problem?", Stuart Hall once remarked.

Picture source Getty Images [huffingtonpost.co.uk}

Guardian article on the Sun's campaign [click]

Greenslade Blog Article the Guardian [click]


“Identities are formed at the unstable point where personal lives meet the narrative of history....Identity, is an ever-unfinished conversation.” - Stuart Hall -


What it means to be British today is also an ever - unfinished - politically charged - conversation, which may require that one relinquish what one holds dear..

Gordon Brown's (Ex PM) 2006 speech on the future of Britishness [click]


5 comments:

  1. Love that photo! It is the essence of multiculturalism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a lot to think about on reading those articles, Dawna. I remember only too well what it was like 40 + years ago. I actually knew a young, radical IRA sympathizer who called me on the phone many, many times my first year at university. How he found me, or why he kept calling and I kept listening, I have no clue. But I have some understanding of what it feels like to be a problem, and I certainly witnessed in in Northern Canada. I find your title, "The New Black," heavy with layers of meaning ~ well, done! ~ If it's appropriate to say that about such pain. You do throw it down, Dawna! And I love that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes..those articles do give a lot to think about..
      Thank you Fundy!
      *I wonder what happened to the IRA sympathizer guy..*

      Delete
    2. I have no idea, Dawna. One day the phone just stopped ringing. I was relieved, in a way, because he would talk a long time; but I have always wondered what happened to him.

      Delete