Saturday 29 June 2013

Why ask?

I know that when I was growing up, my parents felt I asked a lot of questions. I didn't.. or at least I didn't think I did.. neither did I have a problem with it.. were it truly the case. In fact it seemed like the most natural thing in the world to me.. especially if you seek an answer to something.
Eventually.. they got fed up, and found a way not to answer..

Yet years later I've tried to come to terms with the fact that that many questions may not be met with an answer, maybe there is no answer...and in those cases, it's not to question perhaps.. but to observe...not to talk . but to listen.

A little more balance.

One question that does crop up from time to time is who is granted the authority to speak - and who is not. There are times, when I am required to listen.. a lot, and it's during those times that I realize that to listen to another (resisting resentment or any other equally undermining emotion tempting as it may be) is to grant them the authority to speak. Whether I agree with what someone is saying or not, is not entirely the point. The point is.. that it's only when granted the authority to speak can a person really hear their own voice..and perhaps it's when we hear our own voices long enough .. that we can begin self correcting..
Maybe not

To question is a good thing
There is an art to it i'm sure.. one I have not yet mastered
I was once told.. 'there are no bad answers.. just poorly constructed questions'
True?
Don't ask me..

No comments:

Post a Comment