Wednesday 11 July 2012

Paper-round...

I haven’t bought a newspaper in ages. I can actually say that newspapers, the buying and reading of, was part of my daily routine.
I bought the Sun, the Mirror, the Voice, the Sunday Times, the News of the World and the Sunday Mirror (from time to time) the People if all else had run out, and the Star if it was all that was on the counter.
I watched the news every day, early evening news , news at ten news and news 24.
I needed a break.
So... I no longer buy the papers

When my brother told me to have a look at a paper recently, as apparently ‘Harry Styles’ was on the front page ( of One Direction / X factor fame) and he has a thing for older women .. I thought... why?.. and so??..... anyway, I was lured in, and looking further there was a story on J.T and his mouth, a story on Tom Cruise and his divorce, another on some terrible murder, and two pages of ‘health’ info..
I realised the kind of thing I’d become accustomed to, and how quickly I’d become unaccustomed.
I am also well aware that it’s easy to get hooked into nothingness.
Looking back on all that paper buying I suspect I spent a fair bit, trust me It all adds up.


I don’t miss the papers, and I don’t miss the news. I can take it or leave it. I feel much more in control of the information I take in now... rather.. I try and monitor the info I take in.

Don’t get me wrong... I love my trivia, a bit of goss from time to time like my Eastenders fix, but I mix it up. Really mix it up.
Newspapers... hmmmm . Step away from the counter, or steady as you go
They may seriously damage your wealth... not to mention your ability to think
Free newspapers?... now that’s another story

2 comments:

  1. Newspapers all seem to be all ads, bad news and bullshit. I used to read the newspaper daily, I don't miss it either.

    I haven't read it in years either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brainwashing and mindnumbing.. " bad news and bullshit " sounds about right

    ReplyDelete