Monday 27 January 2014

Looked like a fun night at the 2014 Grammy Awards.. now let me be a critic :)

There's a lot of love for Pharrell in our house
and Stevie Wonder..

**

Madonna turned up looking like an 80yr old extra from Django Unchained!!

Only thing missing from her were the words..
'..seriously.. y'all betta recognize...'
She sure is funny sometimes.




**





I have to give this some more thought.. but I think there tends to be an assumption made that if a person is gay, they can't be sexist or racist.
Would that be a correct assumption?
Also, I'm not sure if it's helpful to equate the civil rights, or struggle for racial equality, with gender equality, and gay rights. Perhaps it makes sense to universalize..?
I'll think about that some more.
Maybe we'll discuss it this week, as we continue to deconstruct Identity

I am sure that is one cool tune

**

Pharrell is like the King at the moment
so cute

I asked Ti if Pharrell's Canadian...





**

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis beat - for Best Rap Song..

ASAP Rocky feat. Drake, 2 Chainz, and Kendrick Lamar – "F***in' Problems"
Jay Z feat. Justin Timberlake – "Holy Grail"
Kanye West – "New Slaves"
Drake – "Started From the Bottom"


and for Best Rap Album..

Drake – Nothing Was the Same
Jay Z – Magna Carta… Holy Grail
Kendrick Lamar – Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City
Kanye West – Yeezus

Maybe next time Drake fans..

**

Ziggy Marley - won Best Reggae over Beres Hammond... !?!
now just hold it right there.. !
..hold on a doggone minute..

These awards shows.. what's going on??
Hey I love Ziggy,but..
I hope the Grammys don't go down the Eurovision song contest route.
Am I being over the top..?
You bet cha

Beres deserved that award.
Reggae fans absolutely love Beres, and it would have been nice to shine the spotlight on him this time
Looked like a fun night.. and I hope we get to see it here in the UK

Snoop Lion was also nominated for Best Reggae?!?... yeah I love him, but.. seriously..'y'all betta recognize!'




12 comments:

  1. Oh, until you mentioned it - I did not realize you might not be watching it - PHOOEY! because Musical Expression is So Your Thing.
    parts of it were meaningful to me - some parts were just the "business as usual" - (leaving me with a bit of shallow - BUT, hey, people got to make a living.)

    I like your choice of musical postings today.

    I like the way you grapple with Life Issues. Wish i could give you a "high five" -
    sending you LOVE . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww..seeing highlights is a bit of a tease - I so wanted to see it.. hopefully it'll be on soon!
    I can feel the energy just watching it, and can imagine the feeling on a night like that.
    Yes, there will be performances that get you going and others that you can pass on. As you said some more personally meaningful than others
    Let's try a virtual high five Maggid!! :-) plus I really like your post today..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love Macklemore. His album is brilliant. What a strange performance from Madonna. I'm a big fan but she was struggling to hit the notes tonight and looked like she needed that cane to walk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was really impressed with Macklemore - great performance. Gonna check out the album
    What on earth was up with Madonna?!.
    She did look like she need the cane to walk. She okay?
    I hope she's okay because I like her too..and once I know all is well.. that will be one of the best laughs I've had in a while. the way she walked on mid way through.. Classic superstar! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. She did injure herself skiing but I thought that was ages ago. Well, Madonna is a superstar but that outfit and cane didn't do her and favours at all. Check out the songs Wing$ by Macklemore, both the song and video are great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will do..
    Green light on Madge an ima do some impressions for fun over here
    love her

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well how great is this!. As if on cue..The Grammy Awards are now on More4! .
    great opening speech by LL Cool J - time to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope that Madonna's performance was what was asked of her and not of her choosing, because she looked like she was struggling. What was with her pimp cane?
    This isn't an indictment on how the GRAMMYS selection committee still is behind the eight ball in understanding Hip Hop, the most influential music genre in todays music. Kanye West and Eminem are collectively 0-6 on Album of the Year nominations and Outkast's Stankonia lost to fucking "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" Soundtrack. "good kid, m.A.A.d. city" was one of the best concept albums of all time, and that's not an understatment. The selection committee understands and rewards such risks in other genres (i.e. Arcade fire last year) but in Hip Hop the concept probably went over most of their heads.
    Macklemore is a good rapper. The biggest oversight by the awards selection committee is awarding Album of the Year off of one song to a great group's worst album of their career. The committee shows just making one song successful enough and your whole album can win it all.

    But that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and many would agree.
      apparently Macklemore sent a message to Kendrick saying he ( Kendrick) was robbed and felt he should have won best rap album instead!.
      Its a big night for music and I guess there will always be controversy. But sometimes i do wonder.
      Pimp cane! lol .. Now you've said that I have that 50cent PIMP song playing in my head!


      Delete
  9. LL COOL looks younger and younger. Wish I had his genes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked at him and said aloud as he licked his lips. Now that man is rich!.
      Fantastic opening speech by LL
      I like him. Nice strong solid grounded focused talented and lovable. ( Is how he came across)

      Delete
    2. .. and I know what you mean Alieux.. he does look young, and has beautiful skin.
      .. and a beautiful smile too
      He looks happy

      Delete