Wednesday 7 September 2011

Retro Food?

I cooked corn beef for the kids early last year ( or it may have been the year before..) and it stunk the house down!
I'm not sure the corn beef now is the same corn beef of old..
(Never Again.. well not if I can help it!!)

I actually don't eat meat!.. for some reason my children wanted to eat it..
Maybe because they heard my mum say she used to make it for us
Oddly enough.. they liked it :O??



Apparently Rectro food is making a 'comeback'. To be honest for many .. it never even left let's face it..
What some call Rectro food however is simply .. home cooking..

At a time when about a third of all adults is over weight, due to diet and lack of exercise, I'd say it's probably best to revert to 'recto food' if it means less junk food and less processed food.

At first I thought it wasn't the governments place to tell people what to eat.. if folk are overweight it's down to them..
but I realise that may not be the case.. the food industry have packed our foods with 'hidden salts and sugars' ( and god know what else!!) and the govt can put a stop to that..

3 comments:

  1. corn beef and cabbage rock! you may have bought the bootleg version lol!

    well the govt can when they get out of beg with big agriculture and the likes

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may be right!! It was not a smell I was ever familiar with!! guess you can't scrimp when you're buying.. scrimp!! you gotta throw money at that stuff lol..

    I've heard rumours of a 'fat tax'

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes the government can certainly do something with legislation and regulations of canned food products. But lets keep things on the real how many canned food companies are thriving in the UK?. Next time you pick up a can of corned beef check out country of origin most often it's imported from brazil.

    I totally know what you mean by the hidden extras. However the salts yes hidden but am afraid without the critical salt especially in canned meat food products, there would be an increased number of food poisoning cases.

    ohh love corned beef though but only great as an emmergency food in my house. We usually knock some stew together great substitute for meat ans goes with rice, yam or even a quickie sandwich.

    ReplyDelete