Tuesday 18 October 2011

Equality/Free speech and ..*kisses teeth*

I’m reading a book about equality and I’m getting distracted as I feel there really may be no such thing.
All men, contrary to the universal declaration of human rights, are not born equal.
If that were true, women in war torn countries would have access to the same services and enjoy the same rights as I do
They don't
We wouldn’t have a monarchy either...
We do
So...I’m struggling with equality a bit.

Equality as an aspiration... how about that?
Hmm maybe...
Then again, is that fair? Is it fair for someone who does nothing and contributes very little to society to enjoy the same benefits of wealth etc as someone who does... then maybe the reason they cannot contribute is due to inequality in the first place.
All things being equal... I think it kinda sucks
All things being equal... I have got to make sense of the nonsensical...
(hmmm... wonder if there's any Baileys in the fridge!!!)

You know what? ... I think it may be a misnomer, complete equality; as it must require some form of inequality somewhere down the line...
What other word would best describe the concept of equality
When I’ve cleared that up in my brain I’ll complete this assignment!!...
Damn girl... get a life!!!:)

Another thing that’s bugging me a bit is free speech
Sometimes you wish some folk would just shut their yap
Shut their yapperdy yap with duck tape if needs be!!

I guess you may be thinking..hmmm odd thing to say for someone that seems to have an opinion on everything.. right!?!
Well yes and no...
Yes it may seem like an odd thing to say... and no I don’t have an opinion on everything:))... most things yes... but not everything...

Some folk talk purely to show off... got a point to prove, trying to imply something 'off key'... which reminds me of an annoying schoolyard game ...many moons ago... where one person may just roll up a newspaper and clout the back of someone elses neck.. ( ever so gently like:)
And then there are those who talk without thought, and would struggle to remember what they said 3mins later
Then there are those just talk for talk sake...
Okay... I’ll be fair... sometimes a little white noise is called for
So far all relatively harmless stuff...
Then there are people, who use their words to corrupt, mislead, confuse, destroy, and the one that may irk me the most... manipulate for their own selfish and ill judged ends.

What inspired this questioning over the rights to free speech?

Watching a news report this morning of a church that allegedly encouraged members with HIV to stop taking their medication with a view to god healing them, only for them to die what appears to be as a direct result of not taking what was prescribed by doctors and may have preserved their lives.
Free speech is okay, if people can be trusted to not take liberties
Yet people cannot be trusted and will take those liberties whenever they see fit

Stories like that irritate me

***
Thought of the day 1

Women

Women will get along fine and dandy but if there's a man involved they'd rip each others eyes out and not break a sweat.. men don't do that stuff... why not?

***

Thought of the day 2
Nothing is fair in love and war

No comments:

Post a Comment