Monday 6 August 2012

Do poor Jamaican's celebrate Jamaican 'independence'?



I remember once asking my mum why Montserrat doesn't have their ‘own flag’.
I wanted a flag to wave like my Jamaican friends, and wondered why, when I looked in books etc, I couldn’t find one for Montserrat.
My mother explained that Montserrat was not an independent country, and was still in effect.. a British colony.

"What!?!"...I was a little bemused. "Why on earth do they not opt for independence?"
"What for?" Was the response I received, and as at the time I could think of no other answer other than... “Because I want a flag to fly!"...which even at my young age I knew sounded ridiculous and was a poor argument... the conversation ended there.

All these years later, and as Montserrat has been virtually decimated by the volcano, perhaps ‘they’ were right... after all... being a British colony has helped many Montserratians to begin lives elsewhere, British passport in hand.

However, The response "what for?" was also very poor in my opinion, after all, as our children grow up and leave home, we don’t ask 'what for'... as we accept that it's an important aspect of adulthood, self determination, actualisation, and growth, for a person to be able to make their own decisions, and take responsibility for their lives.
It’s the difference between adults and children

Well... are country’s any different?


On this day, on August 6 1962, Jamaica gained their independence.
Well done Jamaica.. yet hold your applause...

Whilst we all know the achievements of this tiny Caribbean island, and whilst many of us have been touched or ‘Jamaicanised’ in some way, is it really possible for an island heavily reliant on funds from the IMF and economically restricted as a result of debt repayments, which impacts on education, jobs, growth and development, to really be classed as independent?

Lets just check an on-line definition of independence

1.not influenced or controlled by others in matters of opinion, conduct, etc.; thinking or acting for oneself: an independent thinker.
2.not subject to another's authority or jurisdiction; autonomous; free: an independent businessman.
3.not influenced by the thought or action of others: independent research.
4.not dependent; not depending or contingent upon something else for existence, operation, etc.
5.not relying on another or others for aid or support.




Whilst I’m no expert on Jamaican politics, I would say that the vast number of Jamaicans that I’ve met (and meet) who have been able to leave Jamaica, tell tales of serious poverty, and lack of opportunity, they also tend to be also often blighted by very low literacy and numeracy skills.
So whilst I've read that the government has put some educational programs in place, it still would appear that the divide between rich and poor is still great indeed.
I have searched for some stats on Jamaica, but they vary greatly, so I will not include them in this post.
On this occasion, I will go by what I've been told, from those who should know more than I....Jamaicans.

(In their own Words)

Whilst the story of Jamaica independence is indeed one to be admired, it does appear now to be reminiscent of the tale of the emperor’s new clothes

So exactly who is celebrating... and why?

Ghetto people of Jamaica need food, clothes, decent homes, education, and a future free from violence, politricks, marginalisation, and exploitation.
Now that would really be something to celebrate..
And definitely worthy of applause...


But hey.. well done Jamaica.. you're pretty cool still.






Back in the day.. One of Jamaica's former P.Ms






3 comments:

  1. Informative post, enjoyed watching that Independence video. Given the olympic achievements of Usain and Blake I'm sure Jamaica is the place to be this week.

    Independence to a lot of us is a negatively loaded concept. kicking out the occupying power, usually a protracted affair achieved with many hidden concessions, is just the start

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Mr C.. a real boost for Jamaica!!.. great stuff
    Independence has been thwart with difficulties for many countries I'm sure it's not made easy at all, but worth it. Truth is.. we are all interdependent on each other really...in many ways. Fair trade helps, debt repayments are a real issue though..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post!!! Very informative, very interesting!!!

    ReplyDelete