Friday 18 March 2011

Apperances may be deceptive

As adults (especially us women) we would run a mile at the thought of being seen next to someone wearing the exact same outfit as us. We might just allow the same shoes – but anything more visible than that would have us drop everything... *(boardroom – speech – party – date – wedding – anything!!) for a trip home and a quick outfit change!!. You see - we girls have a desire to feel special – men – please take note – I repeat… (special) We want to look different - a bit unique in some way. Sure there are times when one may want to blend in but even then – there’s always a little quirk somewhere that says – ‘this is me’ – some undergarment perhaps?? Whatever…

The thought crossed my mind today and I just wondered if children felt like that also, and if so, my heart goes out to any twins out there whose parents dress them in the exact same outfit as their brother or sister everyday including accessories (this of course would only really apply to same sex twins – unless the parents are way off beam!!)
I wonder also if police officers, soldiers and other uniform wearing occupations have that burden. I wonder if they ever feel like saying
“Yo – Boss… I don’t mind wearing this as long as I can roll up one trouser leg …or... shorten that skirt by two inches – or - I feel I need to ‘rock this outfit’ with bright blue laces.
Or - has everyone else grown up and out of the need to be different??

Do identical clothes equal identical attitudes?
For example - If there is one rogue police officer – does it then equate that they are all rogue?
Does one robber in a ‘hooded top’ equate to anyone in a hooded top being of a criminal persuasion?
Does one ganja smoking dreadlocks equate to anyone with dreadlocks being a lover of the ‘herbs man hustling??’ (Sugar Minot fans will get that!)

Talk to me – what’s your screw up??

How much of our identity is wrapped up in the clothes we wear. We know for a fact that people judge us by our appearances (Yes- sad but true – let’s be honest)
Some things you can change – (like an outfit) others you can’t – like skin colour or gender (actually you can kinda change your gender now so scrap that – and -come to think of it - people can become darker or lighter at will also - so again - hmmm)
But you know what I mean!!
Sorry??…what is that you say?? - people can have plastic surgery?? yeah - okay - but – can we just stay on point please!!

If there were no ‘rule’ governing how we should appear at work or just in public in general… How would you appear??

Do you not think it’s short sighted of us to think that a man in a suit is anymore professional or intelligent than a man in a ‘Trakky’ or ‘Jeans?’ – If I’m honest I do have a penchant for a suit wearing man I confess – but – trust me - I can still see beyond that – way beyond that! – easy readers – stay with me here!!
For example - is a woman in a tight top any more flirtatious than a woman in a very ‘conservative’ garment?
No? - so why then do we still act the way we do more often than not?

If children (twins in particular) could really say what they felt without being chastised do you think that the ‘twins’ who are forced to dress alike would scream’’ I am my own person… please buy me something else – something more fitting of who I am!! ‘Know me mama’ – see me ‘papa’ I am different
Cute- yes – but different

Having said all that I quite like my Librarians to look ‘Book-ish’, my Doctors to look ‘Meticulous and my Bankers to look…well…’Banker-ish’ - if I had my way I’d insist all Bankers wore bright red braces at all times, and a monocle over their right eye – I guess this is what’s known as social conditioning – who knows – whatever turns you on right..

So many questions I know… just a thought – or two – on a Friday Fabulous Friday.

*Not all women – I do exaggerate from time to time – my aim is not to upset the feminist movement here – merely to showcase aspects of a female’s nature –which is evidently stronger in some than others

No comments:

Post a Comment