Tuesday 15 March 2011

The joy of reading


Perhaps one of the greatest gifts you could give to a child is a love of books - and of reading.
I remember spending hours in Stamford Hill library as a child
looking forward to reading back to back Topsy and Tim books and my awaiting my night time story when whoever was drafted in to read was not allowed to stop until I was fast asleep
Stories to take you on an adventure - funny stories and fairytales
Pretty much anything you need to know can be found between the pages of a book.
That love has stayed with me

A book can alleviate loneliness
Open the mind
Inspire and motivate.
There are no limits to the imagination
No limits to aspirations
A person devoid of aspirations is incomplete
It's natures way

Children who struggle with reading often become frustrated
Yet the pressure they can find themselves under can put them off reading - sometimes for many years-right through to adulthood.
Reading - like writing should be a joy
An expression
It should not be used as a tool to destroy confidence

Books in many ways have helped to shape my life
Gave me the opportunity early on to find my own voice
They offer a comforting presence whether open or closed

I would wish for all children to have a passion
If not for books then for something that brings them joy - and helps to shape them into strong and wonderful individuals
Something that helps them to discover who they are - their individuality
Helps them to feel comfortable in their own skin
Less needing of the validation and approval of others
A parents role among others is to help to facilitate that

2 comments:

  1. You are really a prolific writer I share ur thrust to read at college I used to read western authors J Steinbeck my favorite along Ayn Rand I agree kids should inculcate the habit reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your kind comment Katramvalli
    I'm glad we agree on this - it's one a sure way to empower children - provide a better future in many ways

    ReplyDelete