Monday 14 March 2011

Do desperate times always equal desperate acts?

Whilst an attack on anyone is deplorable - an attack on a pensioner on her doorstep is pretty darn low... yet that's what two young strapping men felt it necessary to do to my mum this afternoon. Fortunately my brother came along just as one man was trying to 'wrestle her handbag away from her' As my brother called out and rushed over they turned tail and ran - cowards.

Now - granted- these are pretty desperate times for a lot of us - but regardless of how bad your situation is - your fight is not with me - not with a pensioner - not with Joe Blogs down the road as they as not responsible for your situation. You are.
Yes you may have had to flee your country of birth and are now seeking refuge and a new life - you may have no recourse to public funds - and no food to eat - you may have had a hard time ... for a long time.. but even if that be the case it still does not give you the right to mistreat your fellow man.

You are responsible for your actions - you must take responsibility for your actions.

The irony is that my mother is the type of person who will feed anyone - help anyone - offer compassion where all you may get from me at times is a raised eyebrow and a blank stare ( I'm not that bad really.. but you get my point) She's of a generation where people looked out for each other.. lived the Big Society long before David Cameron was even a twinkle in his fathers eye..

Personally..I'm not easily angered - well ... I can be .. but only if seriously pushed - or if I feel deeply disgusted by something - or that some kind of injustice or disrespect has taken place without provocation ( Come to think of it...I really should be angered everyday when you consider these things are becoming quite common place in our society..) But I'm really pretty cool about most things- most of the time..
But this time I'm almost glad I wasn't there - as out of all of us in the family... well... I'm probably the least tolerant in a situation like that - hurt my family - you hurt me - hurt me and..you crazy??

I asked my bro if he called the police but neither of them did - didn't feel as though there was any point..
My case in point... I'll report a lost oyster card if I felt some bugger nicked it
Yes.. one crime reference number to go please!..

I hope this is not a sign of things to come - but I fear it may be. As people become more desperate they tend to carry out desperate acts.. and the easiest targets may be those least likely - or least able to fight back..
I don't want to start viewing people with suspicion but I will be on my guard.. for anyone asking for directions with a map..aided by an accomplice

No comments:

Post a Comment