Monday 26 December 2011

The 'N' word..

Is the use of the N word ever appropriate?
In my view ..no
If there is one word that I cannot abide it's that.
I tolerate it's use in certain songs.. but I don't like it
I fail to understand how it became popularised in 'modern culture' and despite the many attempts I've heard to re frame it as the 'evolution of language' and that words should be understood purely in their historical context, and merely chronicles 'mans' development.. (which is in part true)...
I still think it's counter productive.

Now, I'm told that it means 'brotherhood', signifies a bond etc..
Yet words do ( I believe) carry great power..
Freedom will always mean freedom for example
When we look back at some of the greatest speeches in history.. the choice of words carried with them the power to unite.. to capture and inspire hearts and minds..
If we can recognise the significance in that context..should we not also see the negative connotations in the use of the N Word?

Another reason I'm not convinced that the word can't shake it's history is because it's mainly used ( I think ) In America, by black Americans

Please forgive my historical ignorance, I'm not saying it wasn't used outside of America..but it's a word I mainly associate with the Southern States)

Here.. in the UK, words used to convey that type of 'brotherhood' are words like' 'fam'.. or 'blood' or 'cuz' ( A clear signifier of it's roots)

The N Word is never that clear. it can be, and is used. both as an insult and, or to symbolise friendship

Despite the monetary gain of many rappers and artists who have helped to popularise the term.. what they may not realise is they are also contributing to the regression of others of black African heritage.. and contributing to a form of mental slavery, that in many ways is harder to tackle.

If freedom begins with thought , expressed in words, manifested in life

Then perhaps those historical chains haven't loosened their grip as much as we may hope.

An N word documetary, part 1 of 10
*warning* contains 'offensive' language throughout

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6


Part 7


Part 8


Part 9

Part 10

1 comment: