Sunday 11 December 2011

Racism = Hate?.. not always..

There are people who think and say they can't be racist because..
"
I just love Beyonce
Think Barack Obama's great
I have a black neighbour
My sisters married to a black man
I've got mixed race people in my family
I once dated a black girl
I once dated a black man
I think Rihanna's hot
ditto Denzel Washington
I love rap and reggae
I like the Caribbean
I've been to Africa on holiday
I was against apartheid
I've had equalities training
I've eaten curry goat and rice
Rice and peas ( see above)"

This can be quite an exhaustive list...
but the truth is... you can

because racism isn't always about hate

If anyone finds themselves in a quandary over this.. that's okay.. maybe there are some questions we should ask ourselves every now and then, if we want to eradicate racism and racist attitudes..
like how?.. or why?.. or what's the difference between?..

3 comments:

  1. racism based on hate I can deal with, because hate is generally an irrational emotion and hard to institutionalize. You can combat this cos its in your face.

    the one that bugs me is when one race deems itself superior to another such as to regard the other as somehow sub-human with zero respect. The sort that brought slavery and the colonies. Where do you start with this one? Education? Your opponent is very educated but resolutely refuses to know any better. that's taking the mick

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think racism rooted in fear is often overlooked
    but education- self exploration .. and an environment that nurtures, supports and encourages understanding between people is one way to go..
    People can sometimes hold onto beliefs and never really question them..

    On another not completely unrelated note...

    I was watching 'tribal wives' last year or year before , and felt that 'our way' was better..
    When I hear about some cultural/tribal practices I get a little (lot) squeamish and again think some may be a bit... hmmm well not quite right..

    why am i saying this?... because it's easy to think your way is better when faced with the unknown.. or strange...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Dawna....HATE is a harsh deep rooted emotion but you are right it's not always to do with racism. I know I have attitudes that may come across to others as racist, thats ok freedom of expression and all.

    As a black culture we all have individual racist attitudes towards one another for reasons I may see as justified but you would argue differently.

    that word you talk of FEAR sad how as human race we use that as a tool in any given opportunity to head butt our opponent in every situation because we CAN.

    It would be a very good way forward if we harnessed education in the way it's meant for growth of self and mind. But instead we acquire more information only to use it a negative way thats just the way of the world as we stand!!!

    We all have sooo much more work to do on ourselves within the family unit, at work, amongst friends the list is endless!!

    ReplyDelete