Friday 29 June 2012

10 years on.

10 years ago I was working in Harlesden. It’s an area that I grew so fond of, and looking back, I absolutely loved my time there. Harlesden in the summer was like the Caribbean, it just had this amazing vibe. Having said that, Wembley also has it's charm. I know it's possible that I felt that way because It was just different to my area... but I don’t think so. Harlesden was... and possibly still is, pretty cool.

I worked there during the time they were building Wembley stadium.. was amazing to watch each stage of construction.



Anyway. This post isn’t really about Harlesden, but about how much (if at all) I have changed over those ten years.
Ten years really isn't that long in the grand scheme of things, and to be honest... I don’t think I’ve changed that much at all... and that’s no bad thing. ( views may have changed with regards to certain things, but it's been a natural or honest shift..so maybe that's why I don't notice it)

I looked younger (that much is true) but inside...

I came across a few TD Jakes books at that time and read them a lot. I used to write more, and completed a book I was writing travelling to and from work on the train. I day dreamed the hell out those windows most days... felt a sense of peace. The train ride meant I was actually able to get through quite a few books. I read more autobiographies at that time, but in the main my appetite hasn’t changed with regards to what interests me most.
My confidant at that time was Dr S. who always impressed upon me that I should possibly consider studying..one of the warmest men I’ve ever met in many ways. All who knew him respected and admired him...his humility and caring nature. I used to love winding him up something chronic to make him mad!!.. He’d sit and stew... then after a while he’d realise... he’d been had.

I remember talking to the director at the time and when she said to me .”He’s a doctor”... I asked her... “Well what’s he doing here then... shouldn’t he be at a surgery or something??”... (Well why wouldn’t you??)
Sometimes I’d look at him and wonder ‘why this man is sitting across from me doing what he does given his credentials... was he lazy... racism what?’. In talking he’d tell me, he loved what he did and how important it was to him. Okey dokey. Doc.

You know..whilst I’ve learnt from my experiences, and stride towards maturity I actually feel... as a person.. I’m pretty alright.



4 comments:

  1. great post, love the way you put your thought across. Dawna Lee! you wrote a book? I wanna read

    You will appreciate like this link, its a post about Igbo street literature, typically written in pamphlet style. Used to see loads of them lying around when I was a kid and always wondered what became of the genre

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you..
    I used to love to read XPress books at the time.. some Omar Tyree, Eric Jerome Dickey, et al.. so my book had that kinda flavour.. ( just not as good :) I did what I’ve been told many do at first, in that it was kinda semi autobiographical.. (at the time I thought it was amazing.. hmmm it had something- defo potential) but no!! Mr C, I need fresh material now. Love the link btw

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol! well my lady, I am reading your fresh material live and direct (can even comment on it). I have some interest in the historical you. For starters you owe me a listen to some of your songs

    ReplyDelete