Tuesday 23 August 2011

A trip down memory lane.. ft the Mighty Diamonds..

The debut album 'right time' was released in 1976. I was 8. The Mighty Diamonds produced many great tracks but (other than country living perhaps) these are my top two - real revival selection...
Reminds me of .. growing up.. of.. family.
Of long white socks over the knee, (that lost elasticity way too soon)and pleated grey skirts.
Of over sized blazers, and red ribbons tied in bows
Of two 'inward' cornrows, and a satchel bag.
Of two parents homes, and Sunday dinners at the table
Of being told by my bro don't touch my records
and me touching them anyway..anytime his back was turned
Of staying out til sundown, on the corner at play
Of the little boy Andrew next door from Greece
Of Princess cars, and men in fur coats
Of long black silk gloves the older women would wear
Of the hot combs they'd use to press their hair
Of trilby's and suits, and shiny shoes
Of daydreaming at the window,
avoiding the news
Of writing poems in my school books, and decorating the margins
Of a trip to the seaside and bringing home rock
Or a trip to the funfair and winning a goldfish
Of singing along to every word
Chillin on the carpet...enjoy the music
Stacking 45's and watching them drop one by one, as each tune ends.. the needle descends
Of having ..not a care in the world.

Funny really...I wonder what my own children will remember..:)





6 comments:

  1. gwan Dawna! load the selection! "shame and pride" blowing up in my headphones! :)

    I feel your memories, can imagine you as a kid. funny how music evokes memories you've long forgotten. I remember tangling up my uncle's Peter Tosh tape and hiding it, funnier even was leading the search party of kids for it on the promise of sweets. devious

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, that's so funny, 'break it, hide it - then search for it !!classic:)

    Yep, all gangly legs and mischief!! I accidently melted my brothers Bunny Wailer 'rock and groove' album, then someone I knew snapped another to pieces out of spite!!..both counts.. I knew nothing!!
    Both were replaced fortunately

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmmm nice tuneeee. Funny at the time when this was released I'd probably only just learnt to balance and walk, whilst a couple of teeth had grown for me to appreciate what a mean grilled chicken bone tasted like. Memories are great indeed who knew I would grow up to enjoy fine music like this!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ChilledLeo - hmmm yes - sweet reggae music..
    good music never really ages.. only people do

    ReplyDelete