Sunday 16 November 2014

Motivation..so what's it really about? - ft Africa Beats: Aziza Brahim

Motivation is a curious thing.
I think that knowing what motivates us can lead us to live better and more fulfilled lives.
A lack of motivation I find is potentially very dangerous and can lead to depression
But we as people can also be motivated to do some terrible things.. so my assumption/expectation that it's always a positive force is incorrect.

I associate motivation with a positive energy to undertake a task. A burning passion, a desire to complete, achieve something,
Motivation ( for me) is a desire to do

If you type it in Google what comes up is..
"a reason or reasons for acting or behaving in a particular way."..

I'm not a psychologist so I don't understand the 'motivation to kill', or to cause another distress, or what possible joy can be gleaned from doing such a thing.. and I hope I never have personal experience of it

But I guess on a social level it's useful to look at the positive impact it can have on our lives and the lives of others, if used as a force for good.

I started this post by saying that motivation is a curious thing.. here's why..
Even with the best of intentions.. even if many stand to benefit from you completing a task .. even if you know that you will feel great and it will benefit you greatly...if you lack the motivation to do 'it'.. it probably wont get done

So yes, motivation for me is passion. It is a force that drives me.. pushes me.. pulls me

A few weeks ago I was sitting in a bar in Brixton waiting for a movie, and met a girl from Guinea. I noticed her when she walked in because she was absolutely beautiful to look at. We smiled and acknowledged each other. Soon enough she came over and asked to sit with me , so we talked, and I ended up making a new friend that day. She speaks Portuguese, and if you remember , I mentioned not long ago that it's the one language I said I can never recognize, and cannot speak a word of!?

Anyway.. I was giving her an outline of the film I was going to see. She looked horrified.. she said there is no way she'd want to see a film like that. I assured her that I too liked 'Rom Com's' and she said (of my interest in that particular sad tale) that it's probably in my blood. aka my passion.

I reckon she was probably right

However, In my personal life. I am always motivated by love and romance.. pretty much always.

Now this pretty girl from Guinae had only been in the country a few days, and had moved here (UK) to be with her boyfriend of 10/15 yrs. She told me she was looking for a job..and felt that she needed to improve her English also as it may hold her back.
Anyway; a few days ago she called me to tell me she had found a job!. She'll be working in a high end fashion store selling designer clothes.

I was so pleased for her and very impressed.
She was motivated.

There are times now that if I feel down, I think of her for some reason, and I feel a little bit better.



No comments:

Post a Comment